The process of writing both tasks (Task 1 & 2) is made up of three main stages:
2. Writing &
In the pre-writing stage, you should:
1. Understand the task.
2. Outline and plan the general set of ideas, rules, or beliefs of your essay.
3. Brainstorm and generate as many ideas as possible.
4. Organise and categorise the ideas generated in the previous stage.
In the post-writing stage, you should consider the following points:
1. All your sentences should have subjects and verbs.
2. Every sentence you build should start with a capital letter and finish in a full-stop.
3. Long sentences should be avoided in order not to lose control of them. If they are long, divide or break them down into smaller sentences so that your writing will be much more readable.
4. Your answer should be divided into paragraphs.
5. Each paragraph is about one central idea, which is developed by things like quotations, examples & details.
6. Transition words, linking words, should also be used for more cohesion and clarity.
7. in formal writing you should not use contractions. Write full forms. For example: It’s [Not OK] > It is [OK].
8. All your sentences should make sense, they should be relevant to the topic and previous sentence(s) and structurally, they should be meaningful. So, simply imagine yourself as the reader.
9. For the introduction & conclusion of academic task 1, make sure you write an overview/ general sentence about the whole chart.
10. For the introduction & conclusion of Task 2, make sure you state your position/opinion about the topic.
11. In order to make sure that you give the proper time to each task, start with task 2 rather than task 1.
12. Use brackets for categories mentioned in charts and graphs.