- I'm trying to cut down on the amount of sugar I eat.
- Secondly you must quit smoking and you must cut down on coffee.
[often passive] to prevent people from reaching or leaving a place, or to separate them from other people
- The whole village was cut off by flooding.
- We were isolated [from] the other nearby villages because the snow cut off the only [road to] our village.
- This house dates back to 1650.
- Near the end of the route there's a castle that dates back to the Middle Ages, which would be really nice to visit.
- The castle dates from the 11th century.
- The Olympic Museum dates from the 19th century and is the biggest in Europe.