to decide that a planned event or activity will not happen because it is not possible, useful or wanted now
- Tomorrow's match has been called off because of the icy weather.
- Take me, for example, I use it whenever there is a problem and I need some advice, or when I have to call off a meeting for any reason.
- Calm down, Lily, and tell me what's wrong.
- She was angry at first but we managed to calm her down.
- She sat down and took a few deep breaths to calm herself down.
- When I got in my car, I told myself to calm down and take a deep breath.
- The children are being cared for by a relative.
- She has to stay at home to care for her elderly mother.
- To care for a pet takes a lot of responsibility, money, space and, most of all, time!
- There's far too much food - I'm afraid I got a bit carried away!
- I was so very tired but the book was so interesting that I got carried away.